I used to semi-exist inside these relationships convincing myself, “it’s not that bad” or…
“it’s better than my last one.”
But sometimes we do nothing. Why?
In my case, I was lazy and I was looking for shortcuts and easy outs.
Talk about losing yourself bit-by-bit and day-by-day!
Living like a coward hurt. The self-disappointment creeps in slowly…
Yet, quickly becomes a way of life.
If you’re brave, smart, or lucky enough to get out, the hope is that you’ll have the courage to ask yourself some tough questions.
I asked myself:
1. Why did I stay?
2. What was I looking for?
3. What was I afraid of?
4. What are some common patterns throughout my past relationships?
5. Do I still doubt myself?
6. What do I need to do to be stronger?
7. Am I willing to do better with my life?
8. Do I believe I have what it takes to live my definition of a good life?
Of course, asking these questions was just the beginning.
Answering them can take a lifetime if you play games with yourself or believe your own hype.
If you’re wasting away, avoiding reality or worse yet, avoiding yourself, remember:
Sometimes you really don’t need to call a friend for advice. You know what you know.
• Burying your head in the sand doesn’t look good. Think about what part of your body is up in the air.
• Insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results. Try something new. Release some fear.
• Acknowledging your weaknesses helps you evolve into a better you.
• Your glorious future is waiting for you.
• You’re one-of-a-kind and exclusive. Not everyone will like you, and that’s ok.
• Growth can be painful… but only for a short time. Things do get better and…
• Joy cometh in the morning.
I answered these 8 questions and learned a lot about myself.
Not all of it was pretty, but I worked through it.
Getting honest with yourself and asking the hard questions is never easy, but it’s well worth it.
Taking a long, hard look at the patterns in your life that
haven’t been working can help you begin to make positive changes
….and there are no shortcuts to that.