Some people passively sit in the passenger seat and don’t ask the driver to stop texting, tailgating, speeding, drinking, etc.
Sometimes we’re uncomfortable saying what needs to be said, but when your life depends on it, speaking up would be just that necessary.
And that’s what being true to yourself means to me. It means you speak up despite how uptight people might think you are. You find the strength to say stuff like:
- You’re making me uncomfortable with your driving. Would you please slow down or pull over and let me out?
- I can’t go out tonight. I’ve got a big day tomorrow.
- No thanks, I’ve had enough to drink.
- Baby, I like it when you open the car door for me because it makes me feel so special. Please keep doing those kinds of things – forever and ever.
- Nah, dude. I don’t want to get a tattoo tonight. You go ahead.
- I don’t understand everything in this contract, so I won’t sign it right now. I need some time to look it over before making such a big decision.
- I don’t have an answer for you right now. May I get back to you later today?
- Sweetheart, I know you’re upset right now. Can we please discuss this without cursing? I realize you’re not cursing at me but let’s talk nicely to each other. Thanks, boo.
- I’d love for you to come over, but today is not good for me. Or
- Leave me alone. Get out of my life. You’re TOXIC, annoying and I’ve had enough.
Being true to yourself means you:
- Speak up and don’t rely on subtle hints or smoke signals.
- Say what you need to say even if someone may get mad at you.
- Eat right, sleep right and keep your body right.
- Don’t go along just to get along, because you don’t want to rock the boat.
It’s allowing your behaviors to match your values. It means you’re not lazy when it comes to using your backbone. You’re sincere to yourself, and you allow your uniqueness and individuality to speak volumes.
Now, I’d love to hear from you. What’s your definition of being true to yourself? What’s the biggest insight you’re taking away from this post? Or if you’ve found great ways to be true to yourself, tell me how you do it and how it’s helped you.
Thanks in advance for sharing so generously. Your story may be exactly what someone else needs to hear right now.
Yours in love and dance,